I recently came across the Instagram post below and it prompted to reflect on my experiences as I navigated my “real jobs” after college. I’ve learned some of these the hard way and others have been passed down from friends and coworkers. Please feel free to keep the list going in the comments and on the the Diva Chronicles Mag Instagram.1. You’re not always rewarded for doing what’s right.
2. Back up verbal conversations with emails.
3. Keep notes on tasks completed per day with the date.
4. Use that PTO and sick time, girl.
5. Keep your personal life outside of work. Just because a colleague tells you their entire life doesn’t mean you have to divulge yours.
6. HR will protect the company before they protect you.
7. Get really familiar with your rights as an employee (See #1 and refer to F-U Fund above).
8. Never stop looking for work, even if you feel secure on your job. You never know when you’ll have to be on the hunt.
9. If you know you can do the job, apply anyway, even if you don’t have all the qualifications listed.
10. No one really knows it all. We’re all just trying to make it. The best people who will give you the real deal about a company are the receptionists and the custodians. Listen.
What would you add?