Living with Fibroids: The Big Day

As the days closed in on the day of my scheduled myomectomy, I had to get my personal affairs in order. These included ensuring I did not leave any loose ends at work, making sure I had everything I needed for the hospital (socks, magazines, crossword puzzle, toiletries, etc.) and my post-op living arrangements were made. I recuperated at an aunt’s house as not to strain myself in the first few days out of the hospital. I foolishly thought I could go home and camp out on my couch as if I didn’t need any help. A good friend talked some sense into me (Thanks, D!) and told me I will need assistance, and she was right.

The day of surgery finally arrived. I was to report at 6 a.m. for my scheduled surgery at 7:15 a.m. Due to recent changes in the hospital’s COVID guidelines, I was no longer allowed anyone in the hospital with me. My sister could only go as far as the lobby and I was left to make this journey alone, save for the (exceptional) care of medical staff. When I checked in, I sat in an empty waiting soon to be accompanied my another woman, who I assumed was a patient as well. We were both whisked off to get ready for the operating room.

Once in my pre-op room, I had wipe down again with antibacterial wipes, swab Betadine in my nostrils for antiseptic purposed and dress in an operating gown. The (not so) fun part of locating a vein for my IV port commenced and then I waited for seemed like the longest fifteen minutes. I wondered if I would be wheeled back on time. Then in a wave, a RN came in and confirmed my identity and the procedure I was having, then the anesthesiologist, followed by by OB/GYN’s nurse, the my OB/GYN, ending with the nurse anesthetist coming in to administer the anesthesia. I remember talking to him as he administered meds via my IV and being wheeled in the direction of the operating room. When I came to, I was in recovering thirsty and in pain. An hour and a half had passed.

Everything seemed so loud and everyone seemed to by moving so fast. The lights were suddenly terribly bright. My sore throat and intense thirst was the result from I later learned having a breathing tube down my throat. Once redressed on a hospital gown, I was wheeled to my room where I would be bed-bound until the next morning. I was hooked up to a catheter, leg compression sleeves, and received IV fluids and antibiotics once in my room. I was receiving shots of pain meds every four hours, and had to strategically and mentally prepare myself to roll over. I had an ice pack and a small pillow that did help, especially when the meds were wearing off.

I learned that I had just one fibroid that encompassed my entire uterus. The nurse told me that once they were inside, it looked just like a pregnant uterus. They were able to get it out in it’s entirety and the benign fibrous tissue weighed in at 524 grams which is a little over a pound. I am happy that this part is behind me and I can start the road to healing. I am aware that I can very well develop new fibroids, which is why I have to be stricter about how much weight I allow myself to gain and balancing eating for socialization and learning new cultures with eating for my health.

I am currently back in my own apartment enjoying the off time and taking it easy. I move around pretty well, with caution. I had a very lazy and enjoyable Christmas holiday. I still do not do any bending or heavy lifting. I haven’t cooked anything yet. The same aunt I stayed with a few days after surgery came over and made food for met to eat over a few days. A friend got me a Hello Fresh gift certificate so I can have meals sent to me. I likely won’t get the okay to drive until my appointment after the New Year. Until then, I will continue to heal and nest.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s